My work focuses on self-compassion, inner-bravery,
and discovering the mystery in our everyday lives.
Hi, I’m Vanessa Sage, Ph.D., and I’ve been immersed in spirituality and tarot for over 25 years! I’m a Priestess, a spiritual and business mentor, and a poet. I’ve led six cycles of women in Priestess Training, have written a book of poetry, and run a tarot school. I love finding wonder in my everyday life, and comfort in a good book and a cup of tea.
I have a Ph.D. in cultural anthropology from McMaster University and have published scholarly articles on Goddess Pilgrimage in Glastonbury, England and The Romantic Movement’s Influence on Contemporary Paganism. Over the course of my 10-year academic career, I studied: Buddhism, goddess spirituality, pilgrimage, contemporary paganism, and how hope for a city was embodied in an arts scene.
I care deeply about mindful compassionate leadership. I am committed to building enriching, conscious and thriving community based on the principles of love, compassion, kindness and respect.
My Aim is that You Experience:
- A real felt sense of belonging and worthiness.
- A greater experience of peace and purpose.
- An increased connection to self, others and spirit.
- A sense of wonder and awe in the everyday
- Deep healing that comes from your own empowered knowing.
- Embodying a true acceptance of oneself as powerful and beautiful!
I’m multi-passionate and bring my whole heart and mind to the table. Over the last 7 years, I’ve taught insight meditation and trained as a neuropsychology and positive psychology life coach with an emphasis on mindfulness.
I’ve led heart-centred business classes for Jennifer Lee of the Right Brain Business Plan, and I’m a business strategist with an emphasis on authentic and connected marketing. I have a successful business that sustains my family.
I walk this path with you.
Do my own personal spiritual growth work,
And am a highly sensitive introverted empath.
You’ll notice that I talk about the Goddess, read poetry to you, lead journeys, draw on principles of mindfulness and presence, drum at the beginning of circles, and am influenced by the Circle Way.
I invite you to be seen and heard and have a very intuitive participatory teaching style.
There may also be an appearance or two of Kermit the Frog!
All the feelings are welcome in my work, we go deep, and there’s a lot of laughter when we meet.
I believe we’re all leaders and have valuable things to learn from each other.
I’m body positive and am committed to providing a welcoming space for people of all ages, cultural, racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds, as well as sexual orientations and gender identities in my programs.
I offer spiritual sanctuary and a calm in the storm no matter the religious or political affiliation of the individual while upholding the values of non-violence, inclusivity and kindness.
I’m a quiet leader who pours the tea and holds space for all the feelings.
I follow an earth path and honour the ancient lineage of serving the Goddess as part of a reclamation of the sacred in all forms.
I see the world as animistic and interconnected. Nature is where I find a mystical connection with spirit. I am an everyday earth mystic.
You are invited to hold your own inner council & discover your inner divinity!
May you always know that you are meant to be exactly who you are in this world.
Send us an Email:
- Blue is my favourite colour.
- I don’t feel like myself without blue streaks in my hair.
- Lavender, rose, cedar and salt air are my favourite scents.
- I adore flowers but can’t seem to grow them or keep plants alive.
- Poetry is my first love. I not-so-secretly wish we lived in a world where poets made as much money as lawyers. Pass it on!
- I don’t have my driver’s licence. Sometimes I think I skipped a step into adulthood but who I am I kidding I have a hard time not looking up at the sky when I’m on a bike!
- My first fieldwork experience was when I was an undergrad, and I decided to go to Glastonbury to study Goddess pilgrimage. I published a paper on my work and presented the research at Cambridge University. That was pretty neat!
- I’ve also studied Western Buddhist youth, the Romantic Movement’s influence on contemporary Paganism, crop circles as a new religious movement, and how hope for a city was embodied in a local arts scene (that was the Ph.D.).
- I once proposed to do my graduate work in England on how spirituality takes material form in trees, crop circles, stained glass and ruins. I still want to do that research.
- In a former life, I was a stage manager, and co-founded and managed a successful Shakespeare in the park theatre company.
- I’ve also trained as a Neuropsychology coach and taught Insight Meditation.
- I’m super goofy, have an ironic sense of humour, and I offer tea and cookies (virtual or otherwise) whenever I can!
- I’m a TOTAL tarot geek! In the over 20 years I’ve been drawing cards, my deck collection, love and passion for the tarot just keeps growing.
- Along with being a Buddhist with a deep love of the Goddess, my spirituality is an undefined Earth Path (and I like it that way).
- I started drumming just after my 40th Birthday because I didn’t want to get to the end of my life and only wished I had drummed. We’ll call my drumming intuitive. Really, it simply brings me joy. My drum was specially made for me in a Celtic European tradition, and this is how I use it.
- …And Kermit the Frog is my hero. Seriously, he was the first dreamer to come into my life and say that dreaming is worth doing. Plus, he’s a bit of a worry wort which made me feel normal. Feeling normal when you really feel green is great!
“To say working with Vanessa changed my life is a bit of an understatement. The teaching Vanessa offers and the way she holds space has healed my soul and brought me back to myself in so many ways.” -Love Letter Reader
More of My Writing:
Note: All photos are my own and were taken by my partner Stacy Maskell or myself.
Photo Locations: Cape Breton, Canada. Glastonbury, England. Delphi, Mycenae and Chania, Greece.
The Hermit from the Sasuraibito was taken at Delphi and the Priestess in Chania. I highly recommend this deck.